A KIND OF MAGIC

Saturday, September 20, 2008

A couple of minutes ago I saw the first episode of a new animated series in Disney Channel (latinamerica) produced by french studio Xilam and I can honestly say that I fell totally in love with it. Randomly found while I was flipping through the channels it was like anything I have seen before. A stylish, fresh, modern and completely funny cartoon, needless to say is an instant classic to me.

A kind of magic
The promotional pic doesn't make justice to the show, trust me.

Vibrant and wisely used colours, kinetic but not frenetic 2D animation and there's something 50's retro about the characters and yet they have anime-like expressions that hook me up immediately. Plus the talent voices, at least in the spanish version, really nailed the personalities.

The show is called 'Mi familia mágica' (but the original name is 'La Famille Féérique' or 'A kind of magic' for the english speaking markets) and it follows the adventures of Tom a boy who works tirelessly to keep his family on track (in the real non-magical world); Willow the Fairy and Gregore the vegetarian Ogre, who are the mother and father in the series; Ferocia, the sharp-tongued witch; His Highness the Toad, who is searching for a magical kiss (in my opinion he has some of the best and most quotable lines in the show, you'll see); and G the genie, who swapped his lamp for a mobile phone."

Heres's the official synopsis:
"In Fairyland, fairies and ogres don't get married. It just doesn't happen! Willow the fairy and her beloved husband Gregore, a reformed ogre, have no choice but to emigrate and settle in the real world with their children Tom and Cindy. And boy are they unprepared! Here in the real world, there is no guarantee of a happy ending, especially when you add to the mix the other dysfunctional members such as Ferocia, the colorful, sharp-tongued witch, or His Highness, the Toad, still in search of that magical kiss. This ill-equipped and maladjusted family of immigrants goes from one blunder to another and it is going to take every ounce of courage and street smarts that Tom can muster in order to protect his family from all the curious intruders, for whom magic is more than a little bit strange!"
So I prompt you to find more about this series no matter if you are not in the 6 to11 target that is aimed.

Link: Xilam [fr]

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 8:17 PM, Blogger Kylie said...

I also instantly fell in love with this cartoon, but i can't find anything on it :(

I would love to learn more about this style, do you know whether there is anything on the net about it???

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Guille said...

@kylie yeah I know it's like an elusive gem, there are no fan sites and Disney doesn't provide much detailed info either. Another thing that bothers me is that they moved the show from Disney Channel to Jetix (now Disney XD) and since I don't have that channel I couldn't saw the rest of the first season. :(

Make sure to check the link to Xilam (at the end of the post) in case they add something new in the future.

 
At 1:40 AM, Blogger Mister X said...

I love this show too

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

← PREVIOUS

NEXT →