PROMETEUS A SELF-FULFILLING PROPHECY?
is this a self-fulfilling prophecy?
- Man is God.
- He is everywhere, he is anybody, he knows everything.
- This is the Prometeus new world.
- It all started with the Media Revolution, with Internet, at the end of the last century.
- Everything related to the old media vanished: Gutenberg, copyright, the radio, television, advertisement.
- The old world reacts: more restrictions for the copyright, new laws against non authorized copies. Napster, the music peer to peer company is sued.
- At the same time, free internet radio appears; TIVO, the internet television, allows the viewers to avoid commercials.
- The Wall Street Journal goes on line; Google launches Google News.
- Everyday millions of people read Ohmynews the biggest on line newspaper. Ohmynews written by thousands of journalists.
- Flickr becomes the biggest repository in the history of photos, YouTube for movies.
- The power of the masses. A new figure emerges: "the prosumer", a producer and a consumer of information. Anyone can be a prosumer.
- The news channels become available on the Internet.
- Blogs become more influential than the old media.
- Newspapers are released for free.
- Wikipedia is the most complete encyclopedia ever.
- In 2007 Life magazine closes.
- The NYT sells its television and declares that the future is digital. BBC follows.
- In the main cities of the world people are connected for free. At the corners of the streets totems print pages from blogs and digital magazines.
- Millions of people are now getting used to the internet many virtual worlds.
- A person can have multiple on line identities.
- Second Life launches the vocal avatar.
- The old media fight back. A tax is added on any screen; newspapers, radios and televisions are financed by the State; illegal downloading from the web is punished with years of jail.
- Around 2011 the tipping point is reached: advertisement investments are done on the Net.
- The electronic paper is a mass product: anyone can read anything on plastic paper.
- In 2015 newspapers and broadcasting television disappear, digital terrestrial is abandoned, the radio goes on the Internet.
- The media arena is less and less populated. Only the Tyrannosaurus Rex survives. The Net includes and unifies all the content.
- Google buys Microsoft. Amazon buys Yahoo! thus becoming the world universal content leaders with BBC, CNN and CCTV.
- The concept of static information - books, articles, images - changes and is transformed into knowledge flow.
- Advertisement is chosen by the content creators, by the authors themselves and becomes information, comparison, experience.
- In 2020 Lawrence Lessig, the author of 'Free Culture', is the new US Secretary of Justice and declares the copyright illegal.
- Devices that replicate the five senses are available in the virtual worlds. Reality could be replicated in Second Life.
- Anyone has an "Agav" (agent-avatar) that finds information, people, places in the virtual worlds.
- In 2022 Google launches Prometeus, the Agav standard interface.
- Amazon creates Place, a company that replicates reality. You can be on Mars, at the battle of Waterloo, at the Super Bowl as a person. It's real.
- In 2027 Second Life evolves into Spirit. People become who they want. And share the memory. The experiences. The feelings. Memory selling becomes a normal trading.
- In 2050 Prometeus buys Place and Spirit. Virtual life is the biggest market on the planet. Prometeus finances all the space missions to find new worlds for its customers: "the terrestrial avatar".
- Experience is the new reality.
Voice: Philip K. Dick Avatar.
Date: 6th April 2051